Get An Appointment For Your Shoulder Arthritis Instantly
You can now schedule your appointment for your lower back pains instantly without any wait time. Just click book now for a Physical Therapy Evaluation and tell us a bit about what is bothering you so we can guide you in the right direction. If you are unsure where you need to schedule an evaluation, you can book a Free no-obligation 15-minute online consultation with our physical therapist, Dr.Solomon Normatov.
About Posh Physical Therapy
Serving Patients Since 2000
Posh Physical Therapy is a private, self-pay practice offering premium physical therapy services in the heart of Delray Beach, Florida that yield lasting and measurable results. Our two doctors are passionate about their work and are focused on guiding our patients to full recovery. After all, no one enjoys being restricted in their independence and performance, whether that includes everyday chores or a championship playoff.
Because we do not accept health insurance, we don’t have to focus on billing and coding issues that detract from our clients’ needs. And there is no pressure to meet volume requirements, so we dedicate 100% of our attention to you through personalized one-on-one treatment. Enjoy our upscale setting, as we work to restore your health through refined strategies for:
- Orthopedic injuries
- Post-operative rehabilitation
- Chronic pain
- Sports injuries
- Posture correction
- Balance impairments
- General strength and wellness programs
Get Physical Therapy For Your Shoulder Arthritis
Although not as common as hip or knee arthritis, shoulder arthritis can be extremely debilitating and painful. Arthritis refers to “joint inflammation”. You can develop joint inflammation from gradual wear and tear of the cartilage that coats the bony end points with a smooth surface. A smooth surface is required because it naturally allows you to move your arm around in almost any direction.
Once there is breakdown of the cartilage it can expose the bony areas of the joint causing you to feel pain, stiffness, and inflammatory response. Your body is then attempting to repair itself but is not able to outproduce the cartilage loss. It may start to produce more bone and cause bone spurs that can further limit your range of motion and cause more pain. You also have many other structures such as ligaments, tendons, and bursae that create stability of your shoulder joint. It is important to make sure that you don’t have any other injury such as bursitis, rotator cuff tendonitis, or even frozen shoulder. If you have a history or auto-immune disorders such as Rheumatoid arthritis, it can also cause you to feel pain and stiffness in your shoulder.
A thorough examination is always recommended by your doctor, orthopedic specialist, or physical therapist.
The most common symptom is pain with certain activities. Eventually will lead to a loss of range of motion, pain at night, and difficultly with simple daily tasks that we take for granted such as lifting, reaching overhead, or even carrying grocery bags. The pain can sometimes radiate down your arm. You may also feel cracking, grinding, or catching type sensations.
An x-ray can easily show the extent of the damage of your joint or cartilage. However, if another injury is suspected then an MRI or CT scan may be necessary.
Dr. Solomon Normatov
As a lifelong athlete, I’ve experienced a wide array of sports-related injuries. In fact, my interest in this profession was sparked at just eighteen years-old, when I received physical therapy for a shoulder injury incurred while playing football. Later, I achieved my Doctorate of Physical Therapy (DPT) from the University of the Sciences of Philadelphia.
I employ a holistic, evidence-based approach to my treatment, taking a full assessment of your status and needs to design the perfect plan for your body and circumstances. I use research-driven methods to help you achieve your physical therapy goals. I am detail-oriented, innovative, highly knowledgeable in biomechanics, and a fantastic problem-solver. I operate on three principles: honesty, perseverance, and resilience.
The most rewarding part of my job is helping others reclaim their health and wellness. I love to use my experience and background to support and guide my patients as they commit to their recovery. And I can’t wait to facilitate this journey for you, bestowing upon you the right exercises and information to carry you to success!
How To Get Relief From Shoulder Osteoarthritis?
- Activity modification. It is critical to avoid or significantly reduce the activities that are causing you to feel pain or stress on the arms.
- Moist heat or any type of heat usually helps relief Arthritis symptoms and may help the arm feel more comfortable.
- Icing the shoulder three or four times daily may help role reduce inflammation, particularly after sports or stress on the shoulder
- Physical therapy: may play a role in maintaining or improving range of motion and strength, but may in some circumstances aggravate the pain from arthritis – so its role should be reevaluated if it is a source of aggravation of pain.
- Nonsteroidal ant-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen, naproxen, or aspirin can sometimes be effective. These medications can irritate the stomach, and most people should take them with meals. In any event, your doctor should be made aware of any medications you may be taking, and the role of potential interactions.
- Dietary supplements, such as glucosamine or chondroitin sulfate. It is to be know that there is little scientific evidence of the role or value of dietary supplements in arthritis treatment. Consultation with your doctor is recommended before taking dietary supplements.
- Injection of corticosteroids (cortisone) may help a role to treat the inflammation inside the joint. While there is often little risk associated with a joint injection of cortisone, its effects, if positive, may not be long lasting. In addition, patients who have diabetes may see a rise in blood sugar for a variable period of time after a cortisone injection.
- Injection of viscosupplementation: Synthetic compounds such as hyaluronic acid and derivatives can mimic normal joint fluid and may provide some relief. They are injected into the joint to improve the lubrication of the joint. There is little information about whether there is any role for these compounds in the treatment of shoulder arthritis.
- If you have tried all possible pain relief strategies have failed, then it is important for you to consult with an orthopedic surgeon to potentially discuss if an arthroscopy or shoulder replacement may be right for you. An arthroscopy is minimally invasive procedure that can can help to remove any loose fragments of cartilage or soft tissue can can be causing irritation in the joint. A shoulder replacement is very similar to a hip or knee replacement in which your joint surfaces are replaced by metal components and will require physical therapy or rehabilitation following the procedure.
Try Physical Therapy For Your Shoulder Arthritis
As a part of treatment, a physical therapist will first evaluate your posture and strength and rule out any other potential causes of shoulder pain. They make then work on increasing flexibility can lead to a decrease in the amount of stress placed on the shoulder joint. For example, improper posture may cause increased pain when lifting household items or heavy objects. Performing these exercises on a regular basis can reduce the amount of opioids you take, thereby reducing the need for prescription drugs.
Activity modification is another treatment option for shoulder arthritis. The goal of activity modification is to minimize the physical stress placed on the shoulder joint. The physical therapist can also educate patients on proper ergonomics. This type of treatment will focus on increasing strength, minimizing pain, and restoring function. By following the program, a physical therapist can help you return to the activities you love. And it won’t hurt to ask your physical therapist for tips on how to modify your daily activities to improve your mobility and strength. Book your appointment today!